Mindfulness group for the LGBT community
Mindfulness programme for the reduction of minority stress and reduction of internalized homophobia through compassion (adaptation of MBSR for the LGBT community along with compassionate practices).
Based on research to date, the Lgbt community is twice as likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, or substance abuse, to name a few. Along with the stressors common with the heterosexual community, the LGBT community suffers a specific stressor from a very early age, homophobia, which becomes another specific variable of this community, internalized homophobia (the non-acceptance of sexual orientation, internalizing homophobic messages received).
Mindfulness has been shown to be effective in a variety of psychological disorders and in the overall psychological well-being of people who “practice” it.
1) Develop compassion with experiences of bullying by helping to grow from the present and stop relying on the past to live the day to day.
2) Liberating and not “identifying” with negative thinking related to being Lgbt, working self-acceptance.
3) Develop group cohesion and belonging to the Lgbt community, creating an identity based on strength and belonging to a group.
4) Decrease the level of hypervigilance in which this community often finds itself, due to having suffered continuous harassment, in which they have had to learn to hide in heterosexist society.
5) Learn a new form of communication based on mindfulness, to get out of the toxic roles of the dramatic triangle victim-saviour-pursuer (transactional analysis), as another way to reduce stress in interpersonal relationships and not just intrapersonal.
6) Reduce scores on the internalized homophobia scale and perceived stress in participants and increase scores on the “positive” scales.
BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME
Duration: 8 weeks continuously, with aduration of 2 hours per session. Thecourses will take place on Saturdays andMondays. Including a mini retreat in week7, where everything done will be practicedin an intensive way.
Content: During each of the sessionsparticipants will learn meditationpractices as well as theoretical contenton mindfulness, importance ofbreathing and mindfulness, autopilot, stress, conscious communication, compassion, minority stress, internalized homophobia, to name afew of the most important. Discussionson the practices will be included aftereach one. The participants will receivean audio with each one of the practicesthat they have to carry out that week.
Group: made up of a minimum of 12 participants and a maximum of 20 whohave passed the inclusion criteria (to be oflegal age and not to identify themselves as heterosexual).
Start date: All groups will start in January 2019 and new groups will be created throughout the year..
Duration: 8 weeks with sessions of 2 hours, with a first session of 3 hours and a silent retreat in week 7, choosing between Saturday morning, Monday morning and Monday afternoon; if you are interested in other times indicate it when you contact, we will try to create a group at that time if other people are interested in participating.
– Maximum of 20 participants, minimum of 12.
– Price: 350 € for the entire course (participants who are not on therapy)
– Price: 300 € (participants who are or have been in therapy)
In order to register for the course you will need to go through a previous interview and make an initial payment of 100 euros to reserve your place.
If you are interested in being part of one of the groups that are going to start in Mindfulgay, please contact us, indicating the days and times in which you would be interested.
+34 697 91 34 20
Hours of Operation
Telephone Attention and Therapy
Monday to Friday weekdays
10:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 22:00 hs.
Make your appointment, indicate if you are calling from outside Madrid and the type of therapy of interest.
Street Mayor 6, Second floor, Office 20 (28013) Madrid
+34 697 91 34 20
Register of Psychology Centres belonging to the Dirección de la Consejería de Sanidad de la Comunidad de Madrid registration CS 10811